Wednesday, January 18, 2012

John 3:30

Getting people to sing! How do we do it? Do they want to? Do they like the music?

So many thoughts go through my mind each week as I lead music at my new parish. But I think the biggest question that I often forget to ask myself is, "Am I doing too much?".  It's hard to understand, but "doing too much" can destroy your chances of getting people to sing.  As musicians, we can't always be performing. The connotation that comes along with performing is that everyone else should just listen, and it's a privilege at that. Instead we need to stay true to our positions. We are ministers and leaders first. We are performers second. We must encourage others to join us in the praise of God.

John 3:30 says "He must increase; I must decrease."

I love that line because it sums up our role as music ministers. "I MUST DECREASE", and the congregations must see Jesus increase through us. This will bring us all closer to him. There will be time for performances, Christmas concerts, Easter Pageants, Spaghetti dinner fundraisers and open mic nights. Those are a whole other story. 


No comments:

Post a Comment